I have been provided products for inclusion in this post. Regardless, the opinions and ideas are 100% my own.
Think of five people in your life. Did you know that one in five Americans will develop skin cancer in the course of a lifetime? I know, I bummed you out immediately in this post but stay with me. So out of the five people you chose, one will get SKIN CANCER. Do you know how you get skin cancer? By not properly taking care of your skin!. About 90 percent of non-melanoma skin cancers and about 86 percent of melanomas are associated with exposure to UV radiation from the sun. You can likely add tanning devices to this percentage too. Since UV radiation is a proven human carcinogen, why do people still lay out in the sun and tan for hours upon hours, unprotected? We all know staying out of the sun is best for us, but we also want to be tan! How can we do both? Start with protecting your skin and then check out my new favorite sunless tanning spray – Solrae Sunless.
Protect Your Skin
- Sunscreen – This is a no brainer but there are many people who don’t even bother to apply, and re-apply, sunscreen. Sunscreen helps to prevent harmful UV rays from reaching your skin. It is like a shield from the sun. But in order for it to work properly, you need to understand what SPF is and how it works. According to skincancer.org, SPF – or Sun Protection Factor– is a measure of a sunscreen’s ability to prevent UVB from damaging the skin. Here’s how it works: If it takes 20 minutes for your unprotected skin to start turning red, using an SPF 15 sunscreen theoretically prevents reddening 15 times longer – about five hours. Most sunscreens with an SPF of 15 or higher do an excellent job of protecting against UVB. There are a lot of different sunscreens on the market, so do your research and make sure you choose one that is perfect for your skin.
- Clothing – When possible, cover your skin as much as possible with appropriate clothing. There are so many options available now, even more breathable materials to keep you cool yet covered in the sun.
- Hats – They are stylish yet efficiently protect your head and face from the sun. Always choose a hat with a wide brim to hopefully help protect your neck too.
- Sunglasses – Your eyes can also be damaged from UV rays. Find sunglasses that block the UV rays and protect your eyes plus the skin around your eyes.
- Shade – Try to hang out in shaded areas more often than sunny areas. Being outside is great but give your body a break from the sun and heat!
- Water – Your skin needs water! Think about what happens to fruit when it is dehydrated. It shrivels up – gets wrinkly. Our skin does the same thing. So stay hydrated because the sun and hot weather will cause you to dehydrate faster than you think!
How to Look Good Without the Cancer Risk
Of course you could avoid the sun at all costs. Live in darkness. Never go outdoors, except for at night. But that’s not likely going to happen. So plan B is to use sunscreen constantly and to perfect your spray tan to obtain a nice color to your skin tone.
I know what you are thinking. Skin color options are either as white as Snow White, tanning spray orange like it is a Crayola color or just plain red from sunburn. But I am here to tell you that I have found a tanning spray that actually sprays to a natural tan color…NOT orange, and is streak-free!
Solrae Sunless Self-Tanner Tanning Spray
Solrae Sunless Self-Tanner Tanning Spray is made from naturally derived ingredients – IT’S ORGANIC!! – and is certified vegan and cruelty free by the PETA Foundation! Doesn’t get much better than that, right?
It is super easy to use too! Basically three steps: 1) Shake 2) Spray 3) Wait
Here are my personal spray tan tips:
- Get another person to spray you. I found that when I tried to spray myself, I sprayed too close and it was too thick on my skin. Of course I was able to rub it in with the palm of my hand to help it blend evenly and it did work. No spray wasted, but it worked better when you did it at a distance.
- Don’t over spray. At first you may not think you sprayed enough. I promise you did. Wait a couple of minutes for the spray tan to dry and then if you want a darker result, spray again. Spray in an area where you can get results, like a bikini line like we did.
- There may be some beading. If it is a little amount, let it dry as it may spread out on its own. If it doesn’t, rub it in.
- You CAN spray this on your face. I know, I was skeptical, but it was actually a pleasant surprise. There was hardly a smell and it didn’t feel like a heavy, new layer of skin on my face.
- Wait at least 4 hours before you get wet after you spray. If you can, wear loose clothing after you spray too.
Place your order for Solrae Sunless Self-Tanner Tanning Spray using code SOCIAL4 to get 10% off. Then be sure to share your results by tagging @solraesunless on Facebook and Instagram for an even BETTER discount on your next purchase!
Talk to me about protecting your skin and tanning spray. Do you have any other skincare tips? Have you tried spray tans before?